Thursday 25 August 2016

This Is What It’s Come To


Disclaimer: This entry was written with love and empathy. If you are sensitive to topics of domestic violence or sexual harassment, this entry might not be for you x

There’s always a breaking point. It’s that simple. It only takes one tiny action to get you to that point; the point where your eyes are open and you’re seeing the world in a different light.

We hear every day about tragic cases of domestic violence, harassment and rape towards women. The statistics are enough to scare us into silence; in Australia, 62% of women and 8% of men experienced their most recent incident of physical assault by a male in their home. But, instead of viewing these victims as statistics, let’s view them as real people. One in five women in Australia will be sexually assaulted in her lifetime – that’s about 2.3 million women nationwide. As someone who is proud of her femininity, and is constantly enveloped in a strong female sense of sisterhood, it is statistics like these that break my heart.

I reached my breaking point today after receiving tragic news of a relative who had been the victim of domestic violence in an abusive relationship. There’s a good chance she won’t make it home. Until today, I didn’t know how real domestic violence could be, and how many people it can affect; I am watching my entire extended family hold its breath for the slim possibility of a recovery.  

This is just one of millions of stories of domestic violence across Australia, and my family is one of thousands to be affected. It still shakes me to my core to know that even in a society riddled with situations like this, abusers and rapists are still walking away with nothing more than a slap on the wrist. 70% of sexual assault incidents are not reported to the police, and I can understand why. The first questions any victim of sexual assault is probably asked are, ‘What were you wearing? Were you drunk? Why were you there alone? Did you lead them on?’ Society points the finger at the victims, while those actually at fault walk free.

I am so lucky to have grown up in a strong and stable home, and to have been surrounded by such supportive male role models. I have been blessed with a solid group of men that I look up to and trust; from my dad, to my brother, to my male relatives and friends. As a child I was taught to respect everyone, no matter their race, gender, sexuality or religion. So to be so hastily exposed to how graphic these situations are, and to watch the people I love struggle to comprehend them, is beyond overwhelming.

I know that my opinionated personality can deter some people; my views have been described as ‘blurred’ and that I myself am a ‘feminazi.’ But I will not let the young women around me grow up learning to fear men; we must learn from each other, find balance within relationships, speak up when things get hard and respect each other as equals.

So please, if you or anyone you love is suffering under the hands of an abusive partner, speak up. Unity means power, and power means action. Your words will be heard. We will listen.

THERE IS NO ROOM FOR DOMESTIC VIOLENCE IN OUR SOCIETY.

National support lines are available 24/7 for those who need help:
Beyondblue (mental health & anxiety): 1300 224 636
White Ribbon (domestic violence): 1800 737 732

You are loved, always.

Sincerely, Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment