Wednesday 4 January 2017

2016

'If you were born with the weakness to fall, you were born with the strength to rise.' - Rupi Kaur, milk & honey

For many, 2016 was a pretty tumultuous year, and sadly not in a progressive nor uplifting way. With political chaos, financial downturn, further destruction of war-torn countries and several deaths of some of our most beloved celebrities, it’s not hard to understand why some would rather forget about the year altogether. But, in all of the sadness and confusion and anger and frustration, we can’t disregard some of the good things that happened this year.

Child mortality rates have gone down globally. The numbers of wild tigers, manatees and pandas are growing worldwide. Scientists are on their way to finding treatment for ALS, thanks to the power of the internet. Volunteers in India planted 50 million trees in less than 24 hours. World crime as a whole has decreased drastically. Finland legalised same-sex marriage. Leonardo di Caprio won an Oscar. There’s a new Harry Potter book. Frank Ocean released a new album.

Now I know it’s incredibly clichéd to write an entry that recaps the year gone by, but I know I’m not the only one who can say that for them, 2016 has been a year of growth. It’s to be expected, considering that I’m only fifteen and that something would be very wrong if I was the exact same person I was at the start of the year. Honestly, the one thing 2016 taught me is that nothing is permanent. Change is inevitable, and it should be welcomed.

In March I went vegetarian. I can sincerely say it was the best decision I’ve ever made, despite the fact that I’m now the butt of every light-hearted meat joke and severely iron-deficient (my own fault). If you are considering making the change, I would tell you to jump straight in and don’t look back; your body will thank you for it.

In June I was fortunate enough to be part of a beautiful fundraiser for one of my very beautiful friends. The profits from the fundraiser went towards her endearing quest to help sick kids, and I know I speak for everyone involved when I say that she went above and beyond want it means to be a compassionate person.

December was by far the most emotional month of the year. It went from one extreme to another; from running around airports and getting lost in big cities, to bawling my eyes out whilst seeing my favourite band live. From cutting off toxic people and ending a particularly unhealthy relationship, to having to say goodbye to one of the grooviest souls I know. I’d been along every stage of the spectrum.

As glad as I am to put 2016 behind me, there will always be a sense of gratitude for what it has taught me. Fearing change will disable you, it will mar you, and it will put you at a disadvantage. Embracing change leads to growth, and the opportunity to grow in any way, spiritually, emotionally or physically, should be placed of upmost priority.

I hope 2017 is kind to you.


Sincerely, Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment